Suthern Cafe

I had this whole tale cooked up for you, dear reader, about the quaintness of cafes in department stores. When I was a small lad, my grandmother used to take me into the Sydney CBD each Christmas to look at the Grace Bros window displays, and afterward, we’d eat in the cafeteria, which was a bit like the cafeteria in ‘Are You Being Served’.

Myer in Belconnen had a café called the Suthern Café (spelling is correct). I ate scrambled eggs on toast, with an extra piece of toast, and a pot of English breakfast tea less than three weeks ago – indeed, this breakfast was the one where I cooked up the idea of starting this blog.

I walked through Myer yesterday, in order to maximise my time in air-conditioned comfort because it was ridiculously hot outside, and noticed the café had gone. Everything had been removed, with a discrete plastic chain in place to deter people from wandering in.

Myer is giving up its lease in about 12 months time or so, so maybe the disappearance of the café is part of that.

Ah well. Their eggs weren’t too good anyway, and they didn’t ever seem to have many customers.

Here's what it looks like now.


Comments