CAFE YUMM

What is it with these Belconnen cafes with strange spellings?

Kim wasn’t well last Tuesday morning, and I was still on leave from work, so after taking Kim to the GP, we headed to Café Yumm for breakkie. The cafe is situated in the Churches Centre on Belconnen Way, but hidden away up the back in a small 1970s-esque concrete arcade up near one of the 53 Immigration buildings. Unfortunately, they didn’t have scrambled eggs on toast on the menu, or indeed any other version of eggs you might fancy, but they performed upon request.

They initially tried to steer me in the direction of the ‘breakkie wrap’, but, dear reader, I was not to be deterred from my regular order of (*takes deep breath*) scrambled eggs on toast with an extra piece of toast and a pot of English breakfast tea, which was duly fulfilled by the aforementioned establishment, after first clarifying with me that an 'extra piece of toast' means 3 slices, up from the usual industry standard of 2.

Kim got a breakkie wrap (she's the highly suggestible type) which, upon further study, I wouldn’t have eaten anyway as it had bacon in it. She was also highly impressed with the quality of the hot chocolate.

My eggs were slightly on the moist side. Now, I know from bitter personal experience in the kitchen that it’s only a matter of degrees between ‘too moist’ and ‘too dry’, and it’s a high art to get the balance right, but Yumm (what is it with weird spellings in Belconnen?) erred too much on the side of caution – so much so that I couldn’t finish the last few mouthfuls of egg or toast because they were just a bit too soggy. Tea was OK – teabag in a pot, and not loose-leaf; seriously, my grandmother would roll around in her grave if she knew I'd settled in an area of the nation seemingly addicted to the teabag.




Comments